Motorway influence on arable lands on the example of Bratkowice Mrowla section of A4 motorway

key words: Kvalue of farm lands, influence of highway, spatial arrangement of agricultural farm, arable land quality

Summary:

This paper presents a simplified method of assessing the impact of
a motorway under construction on arable lands. The method developed makes it possible to determine all the losses resulting from and connected with the indi-cated problems of the motor-way impact. A basis for the determination of losses studied is the analysis of variations in land use, soil quality classes, and in the layout of agricultural roads along the axis of the designed motorway. It is as-sumed a measure of the multilateral impact of motorway on arable lands; this measure is a specific variant of lands value. The specificity of this value variant lies in the fact that while determining it, only the variation in the usefulness to ag-ricultural production is assessed. Therefore, it is a measure to valuate arable land usefulness in the agricultural production. Thus, this assumed measure of the mo-torway impact is not a market value. The estimated land value will be close to its market value only in typical agricultural regions where the key parameter to mould the land price is production potential of such lands.
The presented method of assessing the motorway impact on arable land is exemplified by a section of ‘A-4' motorway; this section is about 11 km lenght, it runs between two towns: Bratkowice and Mrowla. One kilometre of the motorway constructed will result in the decrease of the arable land value by 1724 corn units.
The value of arable land will decrease by around 70% in total owing to taking over lands for the construction of motorway, and because of the toxic im-pact of the motorway on soils. The remaining 30% of losses in the land value re-sults from the increase in the transport and from the deteriorated spatial ar-rangement of plots.

 

 

Citation:

Bacior S. 2011. Motorway influence on arable lands on the example of Bratkowice Mrowla section of A4 motorway. Infrastruktura i Ekologia Terenów Wiejskich. Nr 2011/ 01